Sweet Potato Power
Versatile is an excellent way to describe the sweet potato. It can be baked, mashed, roasted, or turned into a bright colored, satisfying soup. It is a delicious source of fuel for any time of day – breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Top the sweet potato with cinnamon and coconut oil for a quick breakfast, or season and roast it for a savory dinner meal. There’s no need to reserve this delicious root vegetable for restaurant-style French fries or as a sugarcoated side at the annual Thanksgiving feast.
Incorporating sweet potatoes offers as a fantastic source of fuel for both athletes and non-athletes. The sweet potato is a source of glycogen stocking carbohydrates to support energy needs for long, hard, or intense efforts. It offers nutrients such as vitamin A and C, beta-carotene, potassium, manganese, pantothenic acid, and fiber. That brilliant sweet potato color not only adds appeal to any dinner plate, it’s a reflection of the presence of powerful anti-inflammatory phytonutrients.
Make It Quick-To-Fix:
• Plan ahead by baking a batch of sweet potatoes all at once to dine on throughout the week.
• Slice or chop the sweet potato into smaller pieces for shorter cooking time. This is a great strategy for soups, roasted potatoes, and mashed potatoes.
• Prick the potato all over with a fork and microwave it for 8-10 minutes, until tender, turning the potato once.
• Half-baked – prick the potato with a fork and microwave for 3-5 minutes. Finish off the potato in the oven at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes, until tender, to get that fresh out of the oven flavor.
• Cut the sweet potato into ½-1” slices or wedges, season, and bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes.
All-In-One Stuffed Potato Meal Ingredients:
• Taco seasoned lean meat, black beans, salsa, onion, bell pepper, cheddar cheese, plain Greek yogurt
• Avocado, salsa, and chickpeas
• Black beans, arugula, and poached egg
• Cinnamon, coconut oil, plain Greek yogurt, and pumpkin seeds
• Feta cheese, olives, and sundried tomato
• Leftover chili and sharp cheddar cheese
• Other delicious ingredients: lime juice, cilantro, chives, shredded chicken, corn, hemp seeds, green leafy vegetables, quinoa, brown or wild rice, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and goat cheese.