Create a Competition Travel Plan
The goal of every athlete is to develop a pre-competition routine with familiar foods. Destination competition can throw a wrench in routine due to travel circumstances. Packing everyday food choices while traveling will support maintaining routine, put your nerves at ease, and leave you feeling competition ready. Oat and buckwheat granola is an easy option to test as part of a pre-competition routine as well to pack as a versatile travel food.
Oat and Buckwheat Granola
• 3 Tbsp. almond butter
• 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
• ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
• ½ tsp. sea salt
• 1 c. quick cooking oats
• ½ c. creamy buckwheat hot cereal (or slightly ground buckwheat groats)
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Stir together almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla extract and salt. Add oats and buckwheat until mixture is moist and well combined. Pour mixture onto a baking sheet and bake for about 13-15 minutes. Mixture should be slightly wet and just starting to brown. Remove and cool.
Tasty Competition Weekend Modifications:
• Top plain Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and granola for an energizing snack instead of munching on unknown concessions or race expo samples.
• Combine granola with dried cherries and a pinch of chocolate chips to satisfy a carb loading sweet tooth instead of reaching for candy and cookies.
• Consider warm granola with milk or water as a nice pre-competition hot porridge. Combine ½ c. granola with ½ c. water or milk and heat in a microwave for 1.5-2 minutes. Top the hot porridge with your favorite toppings such as fresh banana, leftover granola for texture, and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
Recipe makes 8 – 1/4 c. servings.
Each serving is approximately 127 calories, 3.8 grams of fat, 21 grams of carbohydrate, 2 grams of fiber, 3.6 grams of of protein