Last Minute Boston Marathon Fueling Tips
For some reason I’m extra excited about the Boston Marathon this year. No, I’m not running it. I think I have an added interest because I would really love to see Kara Goucher or Desi Davila come away with a win. It’s hard not to take an interest in the potential of Joan Samuelson getting the Olympic Trials qualifier at age 53, which I find truly inspirational. Not to mention the fact that I look forward to following local friends as they set out to achieve their Boston Marathon goals.
For all those competeing in the Boston Marathon Monday, I have a few last minute fueling tips.
1) Today should start the transition to more carbohydrate concentrated eating; in an effort to do so, slowly start cutting back on fat first. This can be done by substituting mayonnaise with mustard; limit sour creams, dressings, creamy sauces, and cheese. Figure out how you can get the biggest bang for your buck in carbohydrates without feeling overly full.
2) Consider cutting back on fiber as to leave plenty of room for carbohydrate-rich eating. A little fiber is great, but too much can leave a full feeling making it a challenge to eat enough carbohydrates.
3) Never let yourself get hungry. I suggest eating small frequent meals and snacking often. Keep in mind that a flight can leave a long window without eating and drinking. Pack snacks or purchase a small meal from the airport if needed. Be sure to drink fluids on the plane.
4) If you worry about bowel troubles transition to easy digest food choices or even liquid carbohydrate sources the night before the race, after your dinner meal. Sports drink, Boost or Ensure, pudding, and applesauce are just a few great options. This will hopefully leave less fecal matter on board to pass race morning.
5) Drink plenty of fluids. Pack or purchase a water bottle to keep filling and refilling. Packing powdered sports drink is a great way to add carbohydrates and electrolytes to your water during marathon preparation.
Best of luck to all Boston Marathon runners!